D|Fab is dedicated to sustainability in the way we design, fabricate and how our operational processes are conducted. Our goals are to reduce D|Fab’s, and D|Fab’s client’s, environmental impact by providing straightforward strategies for informed, sustainable store designs, signage and décor products and installation services.
Sustainable Design Solutions
- Create spaces that incorporate sustainable material & finishes and energy efficiency, such as:
- No or low VOC paint specifications
- Flooring, tile, laminate and other specifications that incorporate recycled content, recyclable or renewable materials
- Low voltage, energy efficient LED lighting
- On-staff LEED AP assist D|Fab’s clients achieve their sustainable design goals.
- Communicating our client’s green initiatives to their customers through eco-friendly graphics
Sustainable Materials & Fabrication
- D|Fab is continually working to reduce our use of non-renewable resources and minimize the environmental impact by finding and testing green alternatives for the following materials:
- Substrate alternatives that use recycled content or are 100% recyclable, like paper board sheets, recyclable resins and metals
- Substrates, adhesives, paints and printing inks that do not contain volatile compounds like VOC’s and formaldehyde
- Energy efficient LED lighting components for illuminated decor like backlit and LED neon graphics
- D|Fab uses manufacturing techniques and prepress layout processes that optimize material yields
- Proper disposal of waste products such as paints and inks
Installation & Fulfillment
- D|Fab has initiatives to reduce the impact of packaging, emissions and fossil fuel use, and improving job site air-quality through practices addressing:
- Shipping is scheduled to maximize full backhaul opportunities an bulk shipments to D|Fab. Shipping is routed to efficiently deliver to reduce cost, fuel and emissions.
- Packaging for minimal use of materials, including the use of an automated box maker that minimizes cardboard waste
- Installation methods and use of Low or No VOC Adhesives
D|Fab has a robust recycling program that diverts all recyclable industrial and office waste from landfills. D|Fab employees have been educated in proper recycling habits and designated recycle areas ensure easy access to receptacles. D|Fab works with a reputable, local recyclers to handle the various materials.
- Paper, plastic, foam, PVC, metal & cardboard recycling throughout the office and plant
- All cardboard is baled on site
- Computer equipment, batteries, and cell phone recycling
- Wood pallets are recycled for use in packaging
- Outdated materials are sent to local non-profit Art & Scraps, who uses recycled industrial scraps to help people of all ages and abilities, think learn and create
- Donations of unused materials to Habitat for Humanity (for repurposing in residential buildings)
- D|Fab maximizes the use of daylight and energy efficient lighting systems throughout the facility, including skylights, LED lighting and switching off lights when rooms are not in use
- HVAC is handled with programmable thermostats and air quality is constantly monitored for VOC levels. The manufacturing area has properly ventilated spaces and forklifts are not permitted to idle.